Friday, February 6, 2009

Why are we, as a nation, so stupid?

You know, I used to not use fluoridated toothpaste because I had read that the Germans were sedated by the government during Hitler's reign. I now use fluoridated toothpaste, I guess, because I eventually felt that sounded sort of silly. Now, I'm beginning to wonder what in the world we are being fed that has made this nation such a lazy one.

America has always had a reputation to not be settled with second best. We've always been innovative, curious, demanding, and motivated. We've always had such a great reputation for advanced everything: quality of living, education, financial markets, etc. Within such a short period of time, it is looking like we're losing so much of those reputations. Our schools suck, people are losing their homes to foreclosure, crime is going up and our nation is in a financial crisis (or so it is told by our "all-knowing" president). We just elected a guy to presidency based on a campaign of change. What change that is supposed to be, not many could explain who were voting for the man.

I can't help but walk around the house with this feeling of impending doom. I have to think about the job security of my husband and the stupid lawsuit being brought against him from something that happened almost a year ago. I try to think of useful things I can possibly do to add income to our household to alleviate unnecessary medical bills. I think constantly about what it would be like to send my children to school and just go back to work. Would that actually help our situation? Would that actually be best for our family? I love to homeschool my daughter and raise my son myself, but am I enjoying a luxury that I don't deserve?

How can raising my own family be financial burden? My husband goes to work everyday. He really doesn't miss any work days, unless he's bound to a hospital bed with a broken collarbone... I remember missing at least one day a month when I had a paying job, before motherhood. Yet, somehow, we are faced with the uncertainty of what our situation will be like next month. Maybe I should just be happy that we are here, somewhat healthy (other than the croup), we have a roof over our heads and food to eat. Donald's not worried about it. Then again, he doesn't pay the bills. He doesn't think about the fact that we have some plans for our house, and all of those plans require a good bit of money to be saved. Forget saving money, sorry Dave Ramsey. I need to remind myself that I have married an extreme person. A person who takes extreme measures and does extreme activities. I don't really think that should impact our finances, if responsibility were factored into the extreme decisions.

Oh well. I'm quite sure not much will change. Week to week, bill by bill, the money will never change. The debtor names will change from time to time, but I have a feeling that we will be forever owing someone for something. Maybe a break from FNC will help subdue some unnecessary stress. Whatever it is, I just wish something would give with the "stimulus" bills and packages. It feels like a soap opera that has played out its storyline way too long, and the point of the whole thing has been lost.

Okay, politics is obviously not my thing. But it's been enough for me to watch the news channel more than needed, and now I'm all in a tizzy trying to figure it all out. And I still have those old feelings of conspiracy theory that all of this is just a set up that is controlled by some higher powers. All of this is a small part of a domino affect that will be getting someone what they want in the long run (money), and they're just playing with society like it's a big puppet theater. Whew!!! Don't try to think too much when it's that time of the month, huh? Don't vote me for president. I'd have to be locked up once a month so I don't obliterate the world out of crazy hormonal feelings.

Now, I must go say five Hail Marys and an Our Father.

2 comments:

jillison said...

I'm telling Dave Ramsey!!!!

Heather said...

Oh, I have those days, too. I think you're right. It is a conspiracy to make somebody rich! (lots of powerful somebodies) Saving? Who has money for that?! As far as impending doom goes, have you read the book of Revelation?!
Okay, reality check. Even though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death, we will fear no evil. The One who SPOKE the universe into existence (ginormous bang) loves each of us and is carrying us through the very toughest times... like these. We have no reason to fear, and worry changes nothing. My homeschooling family has been working on a couple of memory verses that promise us our Savior will never leave us... NEVER! There is some serious comfort! The maker of the universe is with each of us and will never leave us. Cool. Much love to you sister. Now send this back to me in a few weeks on my bad day!